Becoming a commercially endorsed skipper

The chances are that if you own a boat, you’re probably already well qualified to skipper it. However, no matter how experienced you are, you need to be commercially endorsed by an MCA licensed authority such as the RYA before working on any British flagged vessels, including your own boat!

Becoming Commercially Endorsed involves the authority checking that your qualifications are legitimate and current.

Below is a matrix from the MGN280 which details the qualification needed for each type of boat and the category it will be sailed under:

For example, you can see that for a Cat 0 (unrestricted) vessel, it is a requirement to have a Yachtmaster Ocean qualification, and also to make sure that someone else on board has the Yachtmaster Ocean or Offshore. If you were on a chartered yacht and your skipper was injured or unwell, you would need a competent replacement to keep everyone safe.

You can also see that for Cat 5 and 6, the RYA Day Skipper qualification is sufficient, along with twelve months relevant experience. If your vessel is only registered for Cat 6, you could just take the RYA Powerboat Level 2, which is a course that can be completed in one weekend.

Such courses are easily accessible and will teach you valuable information about protecting yourself, your boat and other water users. Look on the RYA website to find courses near you.

See here for Boatafloat’s full guide to gaining commercial endorsement

One Reply to “Becoming a commercially endorsed skipper”

  1. Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m looking to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and
    Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.

    P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *